Saturday, November 3, 2007

Murphy's Law and the 1 Cent Tripod

Last month I became a grandfather for the first time. We traveled from NJ to MA for a 10-day visit. Of course I took my camcorder and tripod. During our stay there were a lot of visitor many of who had babies and stored their gear in our room. When I arrived back home, I realized that I was missing my tripod.

I called to my daughter. Maybe it was still at her house. Nope. Both of my nieces, one of whom has twins were there. Maybe it got bundled in their things. Nope. The tripod was missing.

We joked that it might be with the spare key to her house which I also managed to lose.

It's now a month later. Neither item made an appearance and we are getting ready for another visit. That reminded me that I'm still missing my tripod and that it's time to replace it. So off I went to eBay where I find a tripod auction with bidding starting at one cent and it was ending in 22 minutes.

The first thing I noticed is that the shipping is $15.55, which means the seller has built the price the tripod into the shipping costs. Still, a $15 tripod isn't bad. I decided to see if I could win it for a penny. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.

Later that day as Jill and I went shopping, I told her that I figured the tripod would definitely surface, because I had just purchased a new one. No sooner had the words left my mouth I opened the trunk to put some packages in. I moved a blanket sitting there and.... Well, you guessed it. The tripod was there.

Anyone out there want a tripod. It's yours for free. All you have to do is pay $15.55 shipping.

2 comments:

  1. That Murphy is such a magnificent bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you also find our damn house key? [wink]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!