Friday, June 26, 2009

An OBD Code Reader is Half the Battle


OK, the check engine light just went on in your car. What now? Well most people head to your mechanic. Of course that means money. One thing you can do to keep the cost down is to do the diagnosis yourself. To do that you need an OBD Code Reader. This little gadget plug into an interface under the dashboard and reads the computer diagnostic codes associated with your problem.

About four years ago, I priced one at about $300. Now they are down to under $40. When the light went on in my Miata last week, I picked on up. After locating the interface, I plugged it in and followed the simple directions to get the code. The numbers indicated that I had an EVAP Emission Sys Leak Detection Pump Ctrl Circ Hi.

Huh!!! It sure sounded serious, but it also sounded like something that would be covered under my warranty. Before I made an appointment, I decided to do some research to find out more about the description. So I typed in EVAP Emission Sys Leak and was taken to a page at OBD-codes.com which gave me the information I sought. It told me that the most likely culprit was a loose gas cap!

While the ODB code reader was a fantastic buy, ODB-Code.com was the icing on the cake. Putting the technical jargon into plain English was priceless.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved your blog, but it appears that you have put a lot more work into it. I will keep your blog in my twitter so I can come back and see it again when it has some new information. Good subject!

    Obd Code Reader

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!