Monday, September 24, 2012

Watch Me Get Wired

Fifteen years ago, I had a sleep study done to determine if I had apnea. At that time is was borderline and no action was taken. Over the years, things have not gotten better.  I wake each morning feeling more tired than when I went to bed the night before.  As a result, my doctor sent me to the Eliot Sleep Evaluation Center, but it wasn't at Elliot hospital. In an effort to make things more comfortable, the sleep center occupies an entire wing of the Hilton Homewood Suites in Manchester.

I arrived about 7:30 and checked out my room. It wasn't five stars, but it was infinitely better than the hospital sleep lab where I had my original test. After settling in, my tech came in, introduced herself, and gave me the run down for the night. She was very thorough and friendly. She asked what time I went to sleep, and since I usually go to sleep about 11:30, I would be the last one to get wired for the night.

At about 9:30 she came back in and told me I would be getting wired at about 10:30. Shortly after that, I got into my pajamas, hopped into bed, and turned on the Patriots game. At about 10:45, the techs arrived to wire me up. The process took about 15 minutes, which are condensed in the video below. 

After getting wired, they connected me to the equipment, and I settled in to watch the rest of the game. The  Pats blew it and it was lights out. Normally, I sleep on my side. Sleeping on my back without wires, presents a problem to me, but with a few dozen wires attached, it raises the challenge to a whole new level. I think it took about an hour for me to finally fall asleep.

At 6:30 AM, I was awaken and unwired (if that's a word).  I asked the tech what she could tell me.  Of course there won't be any official results until I meet with the doctor next week, but she did tell me that I woke up quite a few times, which depending on how you look at it is good news or bad news. The bad news would be that I do have apnea, but that's also the good news, because it is treatable and I can look forward to more restful nights and some relief.

I showered, went down to the lobby for a very nice breakfast, and headed home.  I'll have more news in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!